One cave tour is not better than the other, they are just distinctly different:
- Rushmore Cave is the least strenuous (200-300 steps) and is a 1 hour tour. Famous for the largest concentration of stalactites and stalagmites found within a cave system in the Black Hills.
- Wind Cave National Park has 500 steps and is 1 hour long. It is the 4th longest cave in the world and houses the largest concentration of box work in the world.
- Jewel Cave National Monument is the most strenuous cave tour. 1 hour and 5 minutes long with 700 steps, it is one of the longest caves in the world. Jewel Cave is famous for its abundance of crystalline structures.
- Black Hills Caverns offers The Crystal Tour, an easy ½ hour, 1500-ft walking tour, in the 1st level of the cave, or The Adventure Tour, a 1-hour tour of all three levels of the cave, approximately 3/4 mile. This is a moderate walking tour.
- Beautiful Wonderland Cave Tours leave approximately every 20 minutes. Courteous guides, schooled in cave geology will guide you at a leisurely pace, share with you the interesting history of the cave, and explain the many different formations along the way. The temperature is always a pleasant 47 degrees, so a light wrap is recommended. You will also want to wear comfortable walking shoes.